What does PEI Citizen Advocacy do?
In addition to recruiting advocates from the community, PEI Citizen Advocacy:
- Provides support for each match
- Promotes Citizen Advocacy in the community
- Provides short-term crisis advocacy; and
- Partners with other organizations to improve the quality of life for Islanders who have an intellectual disability.
Here at PEI Citizen Advocacy, we strive to:
- Enable individuals who have been labeled intellectually disabled to live fuller lives with the same choices as others.
- Involve competent volunteer advocates as friends and supporters in the lives of citizens who have been labeled intellectually disabled.
- Operate a program that is independent and autonomous in order to assure the advocate freedom from conflict of interest while acting on their friend’s behalf.
- Develop a more supportive and open community which embraces diversity with respect to intellectual disability.